Motor Carrier Info

New Motor Carrier Filing Fees

A new interstate motor carrier will be required to obtain the following transportation related licenses and pay the following fees and taxes (which normally may be paid by credit card):

Interstate Motor Carrier Compliance Obligations

Highway Use Taxes & Business Activity Taxes

If you are going to transport through certain states, additional tax registration may be necessary, including Kentucky, Connecticut, and New York. If you have any operations in New Mexico, Oregon, California, Arizona, or Nevada, please contact our office to discuss compliance in these states.

Certain states and cities are also now demanding payment of business activity taxes, if you pickup or deliver loads within their jurisdictions, including New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and St. Louis. 


If the vehicle has a gross vehicle weight of 26,001 or more pounds or a combined gross vehicle weight of 26,001 or more pounds, International Registration Plan (IRP) license plates and an International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA) permit must be in place. Please contact our office if you would like assistance with either of these filings.

Heavy Vehicle Use Tax (HVUT)

For all vehicles with a GVWR of 55,000 pounds or greater, you must pay the HVUT to the IRS using Form 2290. The HVUT is paid within 30 days of purchasing a vehicle, and is due annually before August 31st. If you purchased the vehicle more than 60 days ago, you will need proof you paid the HVUT to complete your IRP registration.

Safety Compliance

Numerous safety rules exist of which your business must be aware and with which it must comply. Including PUCO regulations and the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations, including:

Additional information about safety compliance can be found at the PUCO website for Motor Carrier Industry at and the Motor Carrier Safety Guidebook available at the PUCO website.

You can also obtain guidance from the FMCSA Motor Carrier Safety Planner.

FMCSA Drug & Alcohol Clearinghouse (“DACH”)

You must complete your FMCSA Drug & Alcohol Clearinghouse Registration before beginning operations. Motor carriers are required to submit all driver applicants, and annually all drivers, to the FMCSA Clearinghouse, at a cost of $1.25 per query, to confirm no positive tests or refusals have been reported on that driver. This does not replace the requirement to also send the previous employer investigations, pursuant to 49 C.F.R. § 391.23. You should register now and buy a few queries, and direct all drivers to register for the Clearinghouse individually, if they have not already done so.

 You must:

 In order to register, you will need your FMCSA portal account credentials, and your USDOT PIN.

New Entrant Audit

All new motor carriers are enrolled in the New Entrant Motor Carrier Safety Program. Click this link for detailed information. Your company will undergo a safety audit conducted by either the FMCSA or its Ohio PUCO state partner within 18 months.